15 September 2009
The following description is from the Living On Earth website. The site has a fabulous archive podcasts on many environmental topics. Visit this link to read the transcript of: "Farming The Flu" and subscribe to the podcast with this RSS feed: http://www.loe.org/podcast.rss
As health officials try to guess where the so-called swine flu will show up next, other researchers are trying to track the H1N1 virus to its origins. And a number of experts suspect large-scale factory farms. Host Jeff Young talks with Johns Hopkins Public Health Professor Ellen Silbergeld who says crowded, filthy conditions at factory farms could speed the mutation and transfer of viruses from pigs to people.
- Nitrous Oxide: Ozone Depleting and Greenhouse Gas
- Pamela Rice "Troubled Waters: Oceans In Peril"
- Pamela Rice "Cyanide and dynamite: Reefs on the ed...
- Nikolas Kozloff "The Coolness Factor is Wearing Th...
- "Cattle Ranching Destroying The Amazon" Part 2
- "Cattle Ranching Destroying The Amazon" Part 1
- Aryan Tavakkoli - "Environmental Impact of Eating ...
- Mark Bittman - NY Times "Rethinking The Meat-Guzzl...
- Living On Earth - Ellen Silbergeld "Farming The Fl...
- Aryan Tavakkoli "Methane - The Hidden Danger"
- Noam Mohr "A New Global Warming Strategy"
- "The Hidden Cost Of Our Growing Taste For Meat"
- The Humane Society of the United States "Eating Fo...
- Richard Schwartz "An Alternative US Foreign Policy...
- Mike Hudak "Violence and Social Harassment"
- Ken Midkiff "Repetition Of A Lie"
- Plato, Pythagoras, Socrates
- Kathy Freston "A Few More 'Inconvenient Truths' "
- Pamela Rice "Fossil Fuel Alchemy"
- Howard Lyman and Jerry Cook "Environmental Effects...
- Karen Davis "Why Industrial Chicken Production is ...
- Dr. Rajendra Pachauri "Meat and Climate Change"
- George Monbiot "Why Vegans Were Right All Along"
- ▼ January (23)
- ► 2008 (82)